SS Oneil Cruz L
RF Connor Joe R
1B Rowdy Tellez L
3B Jared Triolo R
CF J. Suwinski L
C Joey Bart R
2B A. Williams R
SP Martin Perez L

Why is Shelty resting Hayes? Triolo can fill in nicely but I hate Williams in the lineup.
Let's Go Bucs
3pirates3

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/8 - Bucs vs Angels

Post by 3pirates3 »

Soriano was Pittsburgh's Rule 5 pick in 2020.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Seems like quite a few young people in the stands- Guess they don't go to
school anymore :lol:
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Bucs are actually having a rally! (Do not adjust your TV sets.) Bases clearing double by Cruz followed by RBI single by Joe. 4-2 Pirates.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Oh well. 5-4 bad guys.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:04 pm Seems like quite a few young people in the stands- Guess they don't go to
school anymore :lol:
Or work. Same thought I had at golf course. Was at least 20-25 young guys.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Not sure if this is true. Golfing with a guy today in his late 70's. He saw my Pirate gear and told me an interesting story. No idea if it's true or not.

Sandy Koufax was all about Basketball but his family needed money so he went to baseball clubs to try out. This was before the draft. He came to our beloved Bucs but they didn't take him so he went to Brooklyn next. The rest is history.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

bucs607179 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 pm Not sure if this is true. Golfing with a guy today in his late 70's. He saw my Pirate gear and told me an interesting story. No idea if it's true or not.

Sandy Koufax was all about Basketball but his family needed money so he went to baseball clubs to try out. This was before the draft. He came to our beloved Bucs but they didn't take him so he went to Brooklyn next. The rest is history.
He was 8-13 in 1960, he probably would have cost us winning the WS ;) ;)
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

bucs607179 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:45 pm Not sure if this is true. Golfing with a guy today in his late 70's. He saw my Pirate gear and told me an interesting story. No idea if it's true or not.

I believe that's true. The Pirates were interested but dragged their feet on offering a contract and Koufax signed with the Dodgers. Koufax was a "bonus baby," meaning he had to immediately be placed on the MLB roster after signing or risk being lost in rule 5, as the Dodgers had lost Clemente. Koufax was very raw and wild but never went to the minors. He struggled for 6 years before finding control in 1961, which made him dominant for the rest of his career.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Bobster wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:16 pm

I believe that's true. The Pirates were interested but dragged their feet on offering a contract and Koufax signed with the Dodgers. Koufax was a "bonus baby," meaning he had to immediately be placed on the MLB roster after signing or risk being lost in rule 5, as the Dodgers had lost Clemente. Koufax was very raw and wild but never went to the minors. He struggled for 6 years before finding control in 1961, which made him dominant for the rest of his career.
Thanks!!!! Thought he could have been pulling my leg.